Transportation & Vehicles

What are the major roads?

I-35, State Highways 45, 130, Loop 1 / Mopac, US Highway 183 and 183A. TX45 and TX130 are both toll roads. 


A TXTag is a toll sticker that is permanently mounted to the windshield of your vehicle. When you travel through toll booths and plazas, no money ever exchanges hands, allowing you to maintain your speed of 75, 80 or even 85 miles per hour as it deducts money directly from your credit card. Those who do not have a TXTag are able to zip through the tolls, however will pay a higher rate and will receive a bill in the mail. 


How to get a Toll Tag

When you open an account with $20 in prepaid tolls, you'll receive a TxTag Starter Kit that contains all you need to start using your tag, including installation instructions. And, if you sign up for AutoPay and link your account to a credit card, PIN-less debit card, or bank account, your TxTag stickers are free.



What is the difference between DMV and DPS?

The Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) is a government organization that acts to protect residents of the Lone Star State through means such as handgun licensing, issuing Amber Alerts and maintaining criminal records. The DPS also handles the responsibilities held by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in other states. If you’re needing to transfer your driver’s license from another state, apply for a driver’s license or apply for a Texas identification card you’ll need to visit the DPS website. Below are some helpful links:


How to Register your Vehicle in Texas

You will need your insurance card, proof of vehicle inspection (the Vehicle Inspection Report from the inspection station), and proof you own the vehicle, such as the registration or title from your previous state. Currently, Texas is one of 31 states that require license plates on both the front and rear of passenger vehicles.

Transferring an Out of State Driver License to Texas

If you’re new to Texas, you have 90 days from the time you move to the state to obtain your Texas driver’s license. After that, your out-of-state or out-of-country license will no longer be valid for use in Texas.

Click here for the DMV locations and directions: DMV Williamson County

What public transportation options are available?

Click on the above link for a list of all of the options - below are a few:


MetroRail offers comfortable and reliable train service between the city of Leander and downtown Austin along the 26-mile line.


MetroBus offers neighborhood routes with frequent stops - the workhorse of public transit. With 14 High-Frequency routes, Cap Metro provides reliable connections throughout Austin. Use the CapMetro App to purchase your fare.


Capital Metro Park & Ride has two locations in Western Williamson County. The first being the Lakeline Station in southeast Cedar Park and the other, the Leander Station located in North Leander at the intersection of US 183 and FM 2243.


CARTS (Capital Area Rural Transportation System) buses operate from seven transit stations located strategically throughout the CARTS District, which are also Greyhound stations. There are three locations in Williamson County, Round Rock, Georgetown, and Taylor. CARTS also provides non-emergency medical transportation throughout its District and in the City of Georgetown under an agreement with the broker for this region, Logisticare Solutions, LLC, which operates under a contract with the Texas Health and Human Services Commission.

Postal Service

Click here for a list of USPS / post offices: Williamson County Post Offices

Click here for a list of UPS stores: Williamson County UPS Locations

Click here for a list of FedEx stores: Williamson County FedEx Locations


Voter Registration

If you are new to Texas or need to update your voter registration, click here for an application.


Homestead Exemption

The Homestead Exemption is provided by state law for owner-occupied residential properties. The exemption removes a portion of your value from taxation providing a lower tax amount for the homestead property. In order to qualify for the Homestead Exemption, the property owner must have owned and occupied the property as of January 1st of the tax year. This property must be your principal residence and you may not claim homestead on another property. Property purchased after January 1st of the tax year would not qualify for the Homestead Exemption for the current year. Requirements are a Texas issued Driver License or Identification card showing your current physical address. Click here for the forms: Williamson County Homestead Exemption Form




The state of Texas is divided up into Independent School Districts (ISDs). Williamson Country has 15 independent school districts and over 170 schools. These ISDs operate independently from the state, county, or any other municipality. In Williamson County, each district has its own taxing authority outside of control from governmental entities. The table below shows each school district in Williamson County and their respective statistics. Note that Burnet Consolidated, Thorndale, Bartlett and Lexington ISDs have a portion of their district located within Williamson County, even though their primary area is located in other counties. Districts such as Leander, Round Rock and Coupland all have a portion of their schools in Travis County to the south.

Charter Schools. Public charter schools are free, public options for families to choose to send their students. There is the same academic and financial accountability as traditional school districts. There is no cost to attend. There is no requirement or test for enrollment." Williamson County is home to five college preparatory or special mission charter schools. Harmony School of Political Science And Communication, Meridian World School, Founders Classical Academy of Leander, Gateway College Preparatory School, and Leander Charter Academy.

Higher Education. Williamson County is home to 5 colleges and universities; these higher education centers see the growth coming to and the need that already exists in Williamson County, and have made education a priority for Williamson County residents.

Austin Community College (ACC) has two locations in the WC (Cypress Creek Campus in Cedar Park, and the Round Rock Campus.) Texas State University has two buildings focusing on teaching, nursing, and business management in Round Rock. Texas A&M has their Health Science Center College of Medicine next door to Texas State University - Round Rock. Texas A&M has locations in both the Hutto and Taylor East Williamson County Higher Education Centers. Temple Junior College holds classes in the East Williamson County Higher Education Center - Hutto Campus. South University has also opened a campus in south central Williamson County. As the county continues to grow, expect more colleges to call the WC their home.

Williamson County is located within an hour of the University of Texas at Austin, Concordia University, St. Edward's University, Huston-Tillotson University, The Art Institute of Austin, ITT Technical Institute, and 9 other ACC campuses.


Libraries in Williamson

Click here for a list of Libraries: Williamson County Libraries

Sports Teams

Williamson County is home to the Round Rock Express which plays at the Dell Diamond. The Cedar Park Center, also located in Wilco, hosts the Austin Spurs, Texas Stars.

Round Rock Express - AAA Minor League Baseball

Austin Spurs - NBA D-League Basketball

Texas Stars - AHL Minor League Hockey

Utilities & Important Contacts

Cedar Park Utilities:

Water - City of Cedar Park 512-401-5300

Electric - Pedernales Electric 512-331-8883

Gas - Texas Gas Services 800-700-2443

Garbage - Central Texas Refuse 512-401-5678 (residential)  512-243-2833 (commercial)

Telephone / Internet - 

Police Department and Animal Control 512-260-4600

Fire Department 512-401-5220

Leander Utilities:

Water - City of Leander 512-259-1142

Electric - Pedernales 512-331-8883

Gas / Propane - Atmos / Action 888-286-6700 / 512-259-1196

Garbage - Al Clawson Disposal (ACDI) 512-259-1709

Telephone / Internet - Suddenlink / Spectrum 844-874-7558 / 800-892-4357

Police Department and Animal Control 512-528-2800

Fire Department 512-528-2848

Georgetown Utilities:

Water - City of Georgetown 512-930-3640

Electric - City of Georgetown 512-930-3640

Gas - Atmos 888-286-6700

Garbage / Recycling - City of Georgetown 512-930-3640

Telephone / Internet - Suddenlink / Spectrum 844-874-7558 / 800-892-4357

Police Department / Animal Control 512-930-3510 / 512-930-3592

Fire Department - City of Georgetown 512-930-3606

Austin Allergy Calendar

Top 10 Things You Must Know Before Moving to Austin

Everything Austin in 3-Minutes